Friday, September 3, 2010

Why? Because it's Freedom from Facebook...

After suffering in (partial) silence, from the censorship and injustice of the 420 character limit on Facebook's statuses, I have decided to exercise my right of freedom of speech. No longer will I be limited to a tiny corner of  Facebook cyberspace, no longer will I have to edit out the most interesting words of a long thought process, and no longer will my friends be involuntarily subjected to my ramblings on their newsfeeds. So there. My Declaration of Independence From Facebook Statuses (although I suppose I just sold my soul to blogspot.com)

Originally I had planned on declaring to the facebook world my thoughts on 2 year olds and their never ending (always frustrating) "why's". But I found that there was no way on God's green earth that I could adequately express all of my genius ideas in such a limited space. And then *ding* the light bulb goes off; they have those wonderful things called blogs! So welcome to my first foray into the world of blogging, I hear it's addictive. I can't promise it will be fantastic, but it will definitely entertain me and hopefully help me retain my sense of humor while dealing with my children.
2 year olds have such a beautiful sense of wonder and interest in the world around them. Nothing escapes their notice. Everything from a flying bird to a leaf on the ground to a dead worm laying in a puddle (true story) is utterly and completely fascinating. All of the mundane things that adults pass by every single day capture the imagination and attention of a two year old. And every single little detail is inevitably accompanied by the questions: "Why", "Whass-at" or "Huh" (repeat a million times).

 Normally I patiently try to answer Maya's (my two year old) every question. But I have come to the conclusion that she doesn't entirely understand the function of the word "why" in the first place. I think she thinks the word is more of conversation filler and a way to keep the conversation ball rolling so to speak. So her lack of comprehension has both positive and negative effects. On a happy note, she never really expects a rational answer to her questions. But in that same vein, she is never satisfied with any answer you give her (rational or irrational).


Today her normally patient mommy lost her patience. After Maya began her litany of "why", followed closely by "huh", I just started answering every question with "because the sky is blue." Surprisingly, she seemed to accept that answer and the chorus of "whys" seemed to end. For about 2 minutes. Since this experiment has been met with (limited) success I plan on repeating it tomorrow, but for my sanity's sake, I will vary my responses:



  • Why? Because pi= 3.14
  • Why? Because i before e except after c
  • Why? Because four score and seven years our fore fathers...
  • Why? Stop Drop and Roll
  • Why? Yes
  • Why? Because 30 Days Hath September
  • Why? (it's inevitable) Because I said so...

No worries though, eventually I will stop torturing the poor child and give her a logical answer. But it's amusing to think about in the mean time

If you made it this far, congratulations. I am truly long winded and have a very difficult time knowing when to shut up (both in person and when writing). They should hand out awards to people who wade though half coherent blogs. But I feel much better, many people have said that writing a blog is very therapeutic, and after tossing around all those jumbled thoughts and ideas, I feel much improved.

1 comment: